When on day trips, I have to have a bag. With the camera, pens, notes, books, umbrella, and whatever else, I just have to carry it all in something. This is tough to do without looking like a even more severe tourist than I already am.
In defense of looking more out of place than usual, I found myself a satchel that blended in a bit better than my black backpack. A local street vendor in Paris had Pan Am Airlines branded bags available, which were more in the style of what was seen on the street.
I found this to be most amusing since I don’t think a real Pam Am flight has been in the air for years, but it looks pretty cool, and doesn’t stand out too much more than I do normally.
Packed in the bag for our Daily excursions is (usually) the following:
- HP Photosmart E427 Digital Camera
- Moleskine Paris notebook, filled with notes on locations and blank sections for taking further notes
- Ballpoint pen
- Hand Cleaning Gel
- Shout Wipes
- Panasonic 700x video camera (sometimes)
- Guidebook and Map (for wherever we are visiting)
- Cellphone (with Orange France SIM)
- Laguiole Pocketknife with corkscrew (this is France after all)
And then I stuff in whatever we are carrying about with us, usually a baguette, some water, a bottle of wine, etc. With this we have been conquering France. Vive la Revolution!